Inspired by Derek Sivers, this is an insight into what I’m doing and thinking about right now.
Last updated: 14 Aug 21.
The most important thing I’m doing right now is continuing to recover from and deal with my OCD. I am working to strike the right balance between my personal, family, professional, and spiritual lives. I write about mental health and my journey Mental Work Health.
My day job is mobile manager at O.C. Tanner where I am lucky to lead a great team building world-class iOS apps.
I also publish some of my own apps on the side through my business BSN Design.
Bio for introductions
Ben Norris has been coding off and on for over twenty years. He currently works as engineering manager at O.C. Tanner leading the mobile apps team. He is also a mental health advocate, working to increase awareness and decrease stigma of mental health, especially in the workplace. His regular writing on mental health, family, leadership, and more can be found at bennorris.com.
He and his wife live in Lehi, Utah with their seven children, ages 16 down to toddler, whom they have been homeschooling since before it was cool. His hobbies include sketchnoting and wearing noise-cancelling headphones around the house.
Books I’m reading
- Several Short Sentences About Writing by Verlyn Klinkenborg
- Love People Use Things: Because the Opposite Never Works by Joshua Field Millburn & Ryan Nicodemus
- Empowered by Marty Cagan
Podcasts I’m listening to
- Depresh Mode, by John Moe
- The Happiness Lab, By Dr. Laurie Santos
- Jocko Podcast, by Jocko Willink and Echo Charles
- Under the Radar, by David Smith and Marco Arment
- Core Intuition, by Manton Reece and Daniel Jalkut
- Revisionist History, by Malcolm Gladwell
- Where Should We Begin, by Esther Perel
- How’s Work?, by Esther Perel
- Freakonomics, by Stephen Dubner
- No Stupid Questions, by Stephen Dubner and Angela Duckworth
- 99% Invisible, by Roman Mars
- The Art of Manliness Podcast, by Brett McKay